I was leaving my hometown of Chicago for good, and needed some stuff. One of my first purchases was an alarm clock.
Nice clock. Big display. Loud alarm.
Fast-forward 42 years. My bedroom has changed countless times. But the clock remains the same. And it got me thinking about what it has witnessed.
• 8 a.m. class wake-up calls
• College degrees
• Three-a day football practices
• Residences in 4 states
• 35 years of marriage
• Four daughters
• Professional highs and lows
• Loyal friends
• 2 surgeries
• Parties recognizing successes and passages of time
• Life-threatening accidents and illnesses
• Nervous nights (Kids high school proms come to mind)
• Times of great sadness and concern
• Moments of supreme happiness and exultation of achievement
Clock is still going strong. No signs of malfunction. Kudos to Stratus Electronics for making such a steadfast machine.
I wonder whose life it will look after next?